Also, have counterfeit IDs with aliases ready, too.
If you want to make some money as a counterfeiter, you can try this real-life fraud as practiced by Dante Karyn Sumlar:
- Print a bunch of fake checks. Just make up the routing and account numbers, but put a real toll-free number on them. (More about that later.)
- Go after big businesses, such as Walmart, Best Buy, Macy’s, Toys R Us and Target.
- Find a guy at a homeless shelter, pay him $200 and buy him some new clothes.
- Give him a fake $5,000 check to cash.
- Pay someone else to drive him to a store to buy $5,000 in gift cards.
- Pay another person to answer the toll-free number on the checks. Coach her on what to do and how to sound like a legitimate business when a business calls to verify the check.
- Hope that a smart store clerk doesn’t get suspicious about the high check amount and call the bank to discover that the routing number on your fake check is made up…
Which is what happened to Mr. Sumlar, who was arrested as the mastermind of the above crime.
His scheme successfully used 21 counterfeit checks around Houston, Texas to cheat merchants out of close to $100,000.
He was also on the U. S. Secret Services "most wanted" list for previous theft, fraud and other charges. He pleaded guilty.
– Two accused in elaborate fake check cashing scheme, ABC 13, KTRK>>
– Dante Karyn Sumlar on America’s Most Wanted>>