This is how to do a prank
Undercover Karaoke with Jewel, at Funny or Die>>
I suggest reading these "suggestions for how to do a prank" after you’ve watched the video.
25 suggestions for how to do a prank
- Get someone talented and famous to help you.
- Make sure that person is a good person and not a jerk.
- Disguise her with a wig, a big fake nose prosthetic, body padding and a business suit.
- Call her "Karen."
- Surround her with actors who can play her fellow employees.
- Create forgeries for each of them, of laminate badges from where they supposedly work.
- Pick a spot where an activity goes on that they can participate in. (In this case, a karaoke bar.)
- Make sure people are at this spot to have fun.
- Make sure people are receptive (which in this case means they’ve been drinking.)
- Get cameras to record it.
- Have the actors participate in the activity.
- Have the actors try and get the fake Karen to sing.
- Get the crowd to convince the reluctant Karen to get on stage.
- Blow the crowd away with shy Karen’s unbelievably good performance.
- Thank everyone.
- Go away.
- Return later with the famous person, as herself.
- Wow the crowd with the famous person’s performance.
- (IMPORTANT NOTE: at first, the joke was on the crowd for fooling them with the fake Karen, but they don’t get suckered, they get rewarded – by having a famous singer sing to them at karaoke night.)
- Afterward, ask people what they thought about the whole thing.
- Get a great quote along the lines of "I think that unknown Karen sang better than that famous singer!"
- Reveal the truth to people – that Karen was the famous singer.
- Get honest "No frickin’ way!" reactions.
- Edit the video and distribute to those who were not there.
- What can we learn from this? A good prank requires resources, planning… and fun for all.
NOTE: The video has spawned a request for a pilot TV show by TBS.