The Tony Clifton stamp
A Chicago artist named TezOne, in a project called ImPOSTer, created fraudulent postage stamps and sent them through the mail to commemorate six contemporary imposters:
- David Hampton ("Six Degrees of Separation")
- Ferdinand Demara ("The Great Imposter")
- Frank Abagnale ("Catch Me if You Can")
- John Howard Griffin ("Black Like Me")
- Tony Clifton (Andy Kaufman character)
- Wilhelm Voight (fake Prussian army officer)
Wilhelm Voight’s impersonation of an army officer in the early 1900s resulted in a play and then movies. Years later, The Captain of Kopenick was celebrated in a real German postage stamp in 2006.
Der Hauptmann von Kopenick stamp
– Thanks to Wanderlust for the find.
– Wilhelm Voigt, Wikipedia>>