This inflatable version was not
designed for realism.
Firefighters in Martha’s Vineyard Massachusetts were fooled when trying to put out a house fire when they tried to connect hoses to a fire hydrant that wasn’t real. Or, more accurately, it was a real fire hydrant, but it wasn’t hooked up to water since it was a standalone piece that was being used as a lawn ornament.
Some criticized the volunteer fire department for their confusion, especially since the hydrant was found inside a dog pen, but others responded that firefighters can’t be expected to know where all the real hydrants are during the adrenalin and confusion of fighting a fire.
If you want a hydrant of your own but don’t want a real one, you can always go the fake route with lightweight hydrants used as props for photo shoots and film work:
Some fake fire hydrants, such as this one
made of "high quality architectural grade
resin and reinforced with fiberglass",
look extremely realistic.
Just remember, don’t park in front of fire hydrants.
– Fake Hydrant Reportedly Hoses Firefighters In Martha’s Vineyard Fire, CBS Boston>>
– Firefighters Lost Valuable Time Due to Fake Hydrant. Firefighters take heat for attempt to use hydrant that was only a lawn ornament during New Year’s Day fire in Oak Bluffs. Martha’s Vineyard Patch>>
– Instant Inflatable Fire Hydrant Parking Place Protector, BookofJoe>>
– Life Sized Replica Hydrants for Stage, Film, Decor… FireHydrant.org>>
– No Parking Fire Hydrant! CNB News.net>>