How to charge others for your collect phone calls.
If you're a prisoner, here's how to work the ruse:
- Call a random phone number.
- Lie (and lie with authority.) Tell the person answering the phone that you work for a hospital, or the police. Say that a relative has been hurt in an accident, or has been arrested.
- Tell them that if they want more information, they must dial another number.
- Give them the other number. This is your friend's phone number, with *72 added to the beginning. For example, tell them to call: *72-303-555-1234. (*72 and then 303-555-1234.)
- Hang up.
- Hopefully you were persuasive enough. If the victim obeys you and dials your friend's number but begins it with *72, they'll activate the call forwarding feature on their phone. Now any calls to their phone will go to your friend's phone number.
- Make a collect call to the victim's number. Your call will be forwarded to your friend's number, but the bill will go to the victim.
- Talk as long as you want. You're not paying for it!
- Authorities warn consumers about telephone scam run from L.A. County jails, Los Angeles Times>>
- Telephone Scam being used by Inmates and others, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department>>